I didn’t become a father until my late 20′s. By some people’s standards I’m a little late to the “party”. Many of my friends have multiple kids, kids in school, kids who read, kids who don’t soil themselves , you know, kids a little further along than mine. For years I never understood these people. How could I? But now, after having a little guy of my own, I’m starting to get my friends. For those of you out there who know me, have kids and are reading this I want to tell you something…… I forgive you.
- For not being able to make it to party’s on Saturday nights – I forgive you.
- For not coming to the movies when I gave you 5 minutes notice all those times – I forgive you.
- For not spending a week in the woods with me with no electricity, water or cell coverage - I forgive you.
- For not wanting to drink beer on sunny summer afternoons – I forgive you.
- For showing me photos of your baby on your I-Phone – I forgive you.
- For skipping BBQ’s with your friends to go to a 2-year old’s birthday party – I forgive you.
- For leaving at 7 pm on New Year’s Eve – I forgive you.
- For talking about how you’re tired all the time – I forgive you.
- For not coming over when your kid isn’t feeling good – I forgive you.
- For trying to plan a get together 3 weeks in advance - I forgive you.
- For inviting me to baptisms – I forgive you.
- For sending me pictures of your kids every December - I forgive you.
With parenting I guess it takes one to know one. I understand you people now. It all makes perfect sense. Once you had a child, I was no longer the center of your life. I just want you all to know it’s totally fine. I’m gonna be OK. Also, look for your Christmas card featuring my son dressed up like and snowflake to arrive in few weeks and for an invite to his first birthday party soon after that.