We are packing up the Subaru and taking the boy camping this weekend. When taking a small child camping it is important to make sure you are prepared for everything, however, you don’t want to bring everything you own into the woods either. With this in mind, I have listed out all the items necessary for a weekend camping trip with a young child – in order of priority.
- Bug spray
- Graham crackers
- Extra Advil
- Instant coffee
- Sleeping bags and pillows
- Hot dogs
- Things to make fire
- Probably water or something to wash down the smores (and Advil)
That’s about it. Anything else is superfluous. However if you have the room here are a few more items that will make your trip more enjoyable.
- Air mattress or sleeping pad (not for your kid, for you. Who cares how they sleep?)
- Hand sanitizer (probably a good idea)
- Bug net (will keep you kid occupied for hours, just don’t let them bring the net into your tent)
- Secret reserve bag of Goldfish crackers (for when all the marshmallows are gone)
- Child’s stuffed animal of choice
Wish us luck and have a great time camping yourselves.